Massage nowadays is no longer a luxury item that you will go to spa for. With different health clubs and institutions offering health massage and therapy, there is no reason why you cannot afford it.
What is massage?
A massage is the pressing and rubbing of specific body parts for the purpose of rejuvenation, therapy, or pampering. This therapy is a traditional practice ever since and most people looking for it preferably benefit a lot from the pain management, relief from stress, and luxurious treats it provides. With regular massage therapy, most of the stress-related illnesses and aging will be relieved. More than that, there is a plethora of benefits to enjoy from simple to deep and invigorating massage therapy.
Benefits of massage therapy
- Relieves stress – Stress is the number one reasons why the body deteriorates faster. When stress becomes distress, the body reacts negatively, thus causes different illnesses and diseases. From a simple headache, stress can lead to complicated diseases. Researches and clinical studies show that massage therapy is a great relief against stress. It can help lower heart rate and lower blood pressure. As the muscle relaxes through massage treatments, higher level of endorphins are produced and make the body and mind feel good.
- Encourages and improves relaxation – Massage therapy decreases the level of cortisol in the body, and it allows the body to have a relaxing rest and a recovering mode when resting after the massage. Relaxation is necessary and it is a part of the daily body routine for an improved mental outlook, positive attitude, and enhanced calm and creative thinking.
- Improves posture – Good posture is important not only for body structure, but for a whole lot of reasons. Slouching affects the digestion and the other internal organs. It also affects the proper blood circulation and breathing. The neck and the backs may also hurt badly because of bad posture. Massage therapy can relax the muscle and relieve soreness caused by bad posture. The therapy can help you get your body back to its proper posture, but it is another thing to help yourself maintain your posture.
- Improves and regulates blood pressure – Poor circulation will cause discomfort, pain, and illnesses to the body. Massage therapy helps regulate the blood circulation by pressing some points of the body where blood is congested. As the blood circulates properly, the oxygen also does circulate properly all throughout the body to the brain. This improves the body function as well.
- Strengthens the immune system – Poor nutrition, lack of sleep, stress, and fatigue, are among the reasons why the body’s immune system is weak. Poor immune system tends to reduce the ability of the body to protect itself against infection and bacteria. Massage therapy helps in the improvement of the immune system by increasing the cytotoxic capacity of the body. Also, regular massage therapy helps the body absorb all the nutrients from the food for proper nourishment, and it helps strengthen the immune system.
- Helps in pain management for chronic conditions – There are certain chronic conditions that are painful, but can be managed well with the regular massage therapy. Conditions like fibromyalgia, migraine, arthritis, and other syndromes are not really life-threatening, but because they are painful at times, massage therapy is one of the immediate and alternative medicines being used to alleviate the pain and relieve the body from discomfort. A variety of massage techniques are integrated carefully and technically by professional massage therapists to help reduce the condition.
- Helps rehabilitate from injury – After the injury, whether from sports injury, broken bones, burns, and mild sprains, the next step is to get back into shape by strengthening the muscle again and make it flexible and functional. It will be a lot better if the rehabilitation process includes massage therapy from professional therapists. There will be a need for proper techniques and careful pressure on certain parts injured, but it will be worth the supplementation as the massage improves the circulatory movement of the body while relaxing the muscles as they recover from injury.
Massage therapy does more than just for relief and for rehabilitation. It is also an effective and relaxing way for preventive care purposes. The therapy can help you regulate and condition your body, muscles, and body system for stress management or for prevention of injury for a coming game. More than the treatment for health-related conditions, massage therapy is also an enjoyable body care to keep the body comfortable and always in the mood.