How to Make a Massage Chair Work for You
Massage chairs are ergonomically designed to help you relax: it is their sole purpose. Unfortunately, if you aren’t using your massage chair correctly you may find yourself asking, “Why do massage chairs hurt my shoulders?” I’ve been using massage chairs to work on clients for many years, and I’m here to explain to you how massage chairs work so that they never hurt you again.
Massage chairs have many uses. Massage therapists use them to work on clients; tattoo artists use them professionally because they offer clients a comfortable position to sit in for long sessions. But non-professionals use them, too: after eye surgery they are very useful for patients who need to rest their heads in a face-down position, and many people find them comfortable to sit in at home.
Used properly, a massage chair is an incredibly useful purchase that should be a part of your self-care routine. Used incorrectly, the massage chair is going to cause you more pain than pleasure. Knowing how to use a massage chair the right way makes all the difference. Once you understand how to use a massage chair the right way, you will never look back.
– Recommended Reading: Pregnancy and Massage Chairs: Should You be Worried?
What you need to learn how a massage chair works:
- A portable massage chair
- Any tools included with your massage chair
- A body (yours or someone else’s)
- At least 10 minutes
Step 1: Assembling the Massage Chair (If already assembled, go to step 2)
If this is the first time you are using your massage chair, you will need to
- Remove chair from the box it came in.
- Locate any tools or instructions that are included (usually, a hex key).
- Following all of the instructions, assemble the chair.
- Test the chair out by sitting on it to make sure it is stable and that all the parts are fitted together securely.
Step 2: Setting up Massage Chair
- Unfold the front legs to open the chair.
- Lift the seat and place it into one of the seat adjustment positions.
- Release the headrest locking mechanism and unfold the headrest.
- Lift armrest into position.
- There are many different styles, but this video shows typical set up and adjustments
Step 3: Adjusting the Massage Chair
- Sit on the seat, or have someone else sit on the seat, facing forward.
- If the seat is adjustable, adjust it to the level that feels most comfortable- so the person sitting in it has their feet touching the ground and legs relaxed.
- While leaning forward onto the chest pad, adjust the height and angle of the chest pad so that it provides good support- you may want to add a pillow, depending on your body type.
- Gently place your face into the face rest, and adjust the angle for maximum comfort. You should be able to fully relax your neck and shoulders while breathing freely.
- Adjust the level and angle of the armrests so that the arms and shoulders are relaxed.
- Take a deep breath, and make sure the arm, seat, and headrest positions are correct.
- To see these moving parts in action, check out below video.
- Loosen the adjustment screws on the facerest
- Remove facerest, or fold down (whichever is required for your chair model)
- Loosen any adjustment screws on seat or armrests
- Collapse chair into folded-up position
- Place chair into carrying case
- Can A Massage Chair Hurt Your Back? – http://myproducts.biz/does-a-massage-chair-help-or-hurt-your-back/
Step 4: Breaking Down and Packing Up Massage Chair
The first time you set up a massage chair it might seem complicated or confusing– I know that my first time was! If you follow these simple steps, you will definitely get the most out of your massage chair, and will be able to use it with comfort and confidence. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to adjust the massage chair in just a couple of minutes.
When used the right way, you should find it comfortable to sit in your massage chair, no matter what you are using it for. Remember, there are many different models of massage chairs available, and your satisfaction will be increased by choosing the one that is right for you.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Please let us know if we helped you to use a massage chair today, and if we did, please share it with other people so that we can help them, too. Leave us a comment and let us know what you think!