How Often Should You Get a Massage?
Over the years, massage has been deemed as a form of therapy that declines the common belief that it is only a means to relieve the pain and reinvigorate. Although it does quite a trick to alleviate body pain, massage has expanded its health benefits that ultimately meet the needs of more and more people across the globe.
As a lot of wellness and massage spa centers pop out and take off in the health industry, massage truly becomes available for everyone. However, questions still arise about how often a person should get a massage and when the best time is to indulge in it.
It is true that timing is a key and if you know how many times you should wallow in a soothing massage, there is no doubt you will take advantage of all its essential health benefits.
- Factors to Consider
- How Often Should You Get a Massage?
- Wrapping Up
Factors to Consider
When body pain occurs, you are probably urged to get a massage whenever you feel like doing it. But whether it is through a handheld massager or a session in a massage center, you can’t always just go on and treat yourself with a massage. There are several factors you should consider to help you out how often you should get it.
- AGE: As the body ages, so the pain does. Due to work schedules and everyday activities, adults experience different levels of stress and anxiety that sometimes result in several health issues. Those adults or young adults who engage in sports and other athletic activities may also experience a different kind of pain that requires a particular massage treatment.
On the other hand, older people demand a special health care and attention. As they usually suffer from certain health problems and sometimes severe cases, the massage therapy they need varies in amount and frequency.
- PHYSICAL NEEDS: This factor defines the typical muscle pain and tension that you might usually experience because of the daily activities at home or at work. If you seek for relaxation or a quick pain relief whether it is a foot spa or a full body massage, therapists recommend an ideal time and amount of massage that is applicable to you.
- STRESS LEVELS: Those who are getting through stress, depression, and anxiety can find a solution through the wonders of massage. The toxic environment, the pressure, exhausting activities at work, social issues, and emotional problems can cause stress and depression that deteriorates health. If you are battling with stressful issues and situations, certain types of massages with designated time frames are available as well.
- HEALTH CONDITION: Health condition is a very important factor to consider. Patients who are suffering from severe illnesses or recovering from injuries and surgeries have scheduled medications, treatments, and visits to their doctors. They are not easily permissible to engage in additional or alternative treatments that might avert the effects of the prescribed medicines. Hence, consultation with the doctor is required prior to taking any massage therapy.
Therefore, if you are suffering from a severe health condition, it is vital to talk with your doctor first to know if a massage therapy is applicable with your health condition and how many times a week or a month you’re allowed to do so.
- BUDGET: If you are going to take massage sessions at home or in a massage center, you should know how much you are willing to spend. Whether you purchase a massage chair for a session at home or you schedule a therapy sessions in a wellness center, you need to prepare your budget for it.
How Often Should You Get a Massage?
1. If you want to maintain a healthy body.
A lot of people opt for a massage therapy to enhance their overall health. If you also find it as a way to maintain a healthy body, once or twice a month will do. You can take advantage of the essential health benefits of the massage that increases blood circulation, boosts the immune system, and flushes out the toxins in the body.
2. If you want to relieve muscle tension and body pain.
Daily chores and activities tire out our bodies and drain our energy down to the least level. And if you’re getting through a lot of strenuous activities at work or at home, you might experience muscle tension and body pain which later turns into chronic pain. Therapists recommend taking massage sessions once a week.
However, the frequency still depends on what you feel. You can either extend the sessions or reduce them according to how your body would respond. If your body still lacks energy even after a weekly session, you may need to address the pain with another massage therapy session and make it twice a week. When the therapy manages the pain effectively, you can revert to a weekly schedule and decrease the number until your condition gets better.
3. If you are suffering from stress and anxiety.
One or two times week would work on those patients who are dealing with the effects of stress and anxiety. As massage has been proven to be an effective therapy to combat stress and anxiety, people find it as a great comfort to overcome stressful situations and depressing thoughts. If you also want to take a break from anxiety and stress, a massage therapy will help you out and can even improve the quality of your well-being.
4. If you are suffering from serious health issues.
If you are dealing with a serious health issue, it is a must to consult your doctor first before taking any massage therapy. As mentioned previously, those who are taking medical treatments should be very careful of acquiring additional activities or alternate treatments. Otherwise, it may worsen the condition and can also ward off the effectiveness of the medicine.
If a massage therapy is applicable to your health condition, your doctor will tell you so and will inform you how many times, how much, and the type of massage you should get. Such reminders also apply to those patients who are recovering from an injury or surgery. Massage can alleviate the pain, minimize the swelling and can even speed up recovery. But do not always go with your hunch or what you think is okay. Consult your doctor prior to taking any sessions.
5. If you want to enhance your performance as an athlete.
Athletes often undergo strict and hardcore training to enhance their skills and keep them in shape right before the competition. To help them lose muscle tension and elevate the flexibility of their joints, a massage can be beneficial. Apart from these benefits, getting a massage therapy minimizes the risk of injuries and gives the athletes extra protection.
Serious athletes who undergo intense training need massage therapy sessions more than an average athlete should get. Twice to three times a week should do. However, the ideal frequency may still depend on the type of training or what the athlete’s therapist recommends. For those athletes who usually participate in light workouts and training sessions, once or twice a month of massage will suffice.
One of the vital factors that promote the effectiveness of massage is timing. But you can’t just revel in a massage every time you want to. There are several factors you have to consider closely before taking any massage therapy sessions. The health condition, physical and emotional needs, and age will help you figure out how often your massage therapy should take place. You also need to prepare a budget if ever you’re planning to purchase your own massage equipment or take regular massage sessions in a wellness center.
If you keep up with the right timing while adhering to the precautions, you will surely luxuriate in the health benefits of massage and get the results you have always wanted to achieve.